Rosenbaum Law Group

Call Rosenbaum Law Group (503) 288-8000

Schedule a free consultation

Pedestrian Injuries: What to Do if a Car Hits You While You're Walking

One of the many benefits of living in Oregon, especially in the Portland-area, is the ability to freely take advantage of our many walkable neighborhoods and parks.  It is common for us to learn when talking to new clients that walking and hiking are among their favorite recreational activities.  As Portland continues to grow and more cars are on the road, the potential for car vs. pedestrian collisions increases. 

Due to the very nature of these tragic incidents, Pedestrians commonly suffer catastrophic injuries when a car hits them.  Pedestrians are exposed and vulnerable when crossing the street and a car (even when driving slowly) can instantly deliver thousands of pounds of force to an innocent victim.  In addition, it is not uncommon for motorists, witnesses, or even the police to (at least at first) blame the victim for getting hurt. 

Because of all of this, it is important that an injured pedestrian immediately seek legal counsel in order to protect themselves. 

Continue Reading

How Should I Handle My Car Repair or Total Loss Claim After a Car Crash?

It may not always make sense for you to hire a lawyer to represent you for a car repair or total loss claim following a car crash.  Situations in which a person may want to hire a lawyer for their property damage or total loss claims are:

  • Diminished value claims (i.e. when a newer vehicle is damaged and has a lower value following repairs as a result);
  • A unique or rare vehicle, with a difficultly placed value, is damaged or totaled; or
  • When lost income is tied to the damaged or totaled vehicle (i.e. when the car is used as part of a ride-share program, tow trucks, business fleet, etc.).

If your crash involves any of the above scenarios, we urge you to talk to an attorney immediately. Otherwise, more often than not, a person whose car is destroyed or damaged in a car crash will lose money if they hire an attorney and pay them a fee for their efforts.  This leaves the victim in a difficult position: how do they obtain a reasonable outcome of their property damage claim without the benefit of counsel?

Continue Reading

Rosenbaum Law Group's Aaron Reichenberger Named a "Super Lawyer Rising Star"

The Rosenbaum Law Group is pleased to announce that attorney Aaron Reichenberger has been named a 2019 Oregon Rising Star by Super Lawyers. This is an honor limited to just 2.5% of attorneys within Oregon and represents that Aaron has demonstrated repeated excellence in the practice of personal injury law.  Aaron represents injured people and families in their personal injury or wrongful death claims against insurance companies and wrongdoers.

Continue Reading

Do I Need a Personal Injury Lawyer for my Car Accident?

If you have been injured in a car crash, you may decide to navigate the insurance claim process yourself and negotiate your own settlement.  However, there are a number of things to consider before doing so.  Most importantly, your focus should be on your medical treatment and recovery from your injuries, not dealing with the insurance companies.  Furthermore, chances are you will receive a greater settlement if you hire a personal injury lawyer.

Continue Reading

Why ORS 20.080 is Critical for Oregonians

(Note: this article originally appeared in The Multnomah Lawyer, February 2019 issue and was co-written with Ben Cox.)

In the December issue of the Multnomah Lawyer (“One Extra Dollar: The Impact of Attorney Fee Awards in Small Claims”), the author took issue with a fee-shifting statute that hundreds of Oregon lawyers regularly utilize in comparatively modest claims to achieve fair outcomes against insurance companies. As two such lawyers, we are writing to share our perspectives.

In claims seeking no more than $10,000 in damages to person or property, ORS 20.080 states that when a plaintiff makes a properly-supported pre-filing demand and provides at least 30 days to respond, if the case can’t be settled and the plaintiff eventually recovers more in litigation than the best pre-filing offer, the plaintiff will be entitled to her reasonable attorneys’ fees, as well as her damages.

The author correctly notes that, “ORS 20.080 was passed in 1947 to address the problem of small tort claims [...] Insurers in particular had discovered they could simply defend against every claim, and since the legal cost of prosecution was likely to exceed the claim’s economic value, there was no practical way for a claimant to ever collect.” This is as true today as it was in 1947. In fact, the insurance companies that defend these claims have become more aggressive with low-balling tactics than at any point in recent memory, and regular Oregonians with modest tort claims need the protection of this law more than ever before.

Continue Reading

Oregon's Employer Liability Law and Injured Workers

In pursuing a personal injury or wrongful death case, it is important to understand all of the available claims a victim may have.  When workers are injured or killed on the job in Oregon, more than one legal option may be available to them.  It is typical for the worker to have a workers compensation claim (which is processed through the employer’s worker’s comp insurance carrier).  If the worker’s employer or coworker is solely responsible for the worker’s injury or death, then a worker’s compensation insurance claim will likely be the only legal option available to the worker.  This is what’s known as “worker’s comp exclusivity.”  In this situation, the injured worker (or a deceased worker’s family) would be well served by calling a competent worker’s comp attorney to discuss their claim.  However, if someone other than the employee’s direct employer or coworker is responsible for the worker’s injury or death—or if the employer did not offer worker’s compensation insurance—the injured or killed employee may have a claim under Oregon’s Employer Liability Law.

Continue Reading

FAQ: Oregon Auto Collisions

Below are a few of the frequent questions we hear after our clients are injured in an auto collision.  Our team is always available to answer any questions you may have if you or someone you know is injured in an automobile collision.

1)   I just got in an auto collision—what do I do?

Exchange information with the other driver. Take a picture of their license and insurance card, their license plate, and take photos of both vehicles. Get the name and phone number of any witnesses. If you feel any pain or stiffness, or know you are injured, go see a doctor. If you can’t get into your primary care doctor, go to the Emergency Room or Urgent Care. Report the claim to your insurance company (this is called “opening up a PIP claim”). You will also need to fill out the Oregon DMV Traffic Accident & Insurance Report within seventy-two hours. Call and consult an attorney.

Do not give any statements to the other driver’s insurance company and do not attempt to call them directly.  You are not required to sign a medical release from the other driver’s insurance company.  This is a frequently used tactic and can hurt your claim.  Do not sign any documents the other driver’s insurer sends you.

Continue Reading

Oregon Trial Lawyers AssociationMultnomah Bar AssociationAmerican Bar Association